Tell us what you are doing on your campus and in your city or town to stop the wars!
Write a Report-Back about your organizing on your campus, about what you’ve done and what you are doing, in the comment field below, or email the SDS Anti-War Working Group – firstname.lastname@example.org – and we’ll post it up here!
We only have tentative plans regarding what we’ll be doing on campus, but we plan on having a speak-out the week before the 16th-21st. The week of action is during our Spring Break, but some of us are planning on going to DC as well.
Hello there SDS Anti-War Working Group!
The following is an outline of actions SDS Milwaukee Antiwar and Solidarity Committee has planned for our Week of Action March 8th- March 12th. I’m sending this out with the intention of providing ideas for other chapters and to begin pooling ideas for actions on this blog.
The week of actions will create an anti-war atmosphere on our campus as well as give opportunity for promoting a mass rally for the 6th Anniversary of the War and Occupation in Iraq that will take place in downtown Milwaukee on Saturday, March 21st with participating organizations from the area. The demand of this rally is “End U.S. Occupation in Iraq and Afghanistan! Fund Human Needs Not War”
SDS-MKE and other student groups from various campuses are providing a student feeder march that will merge with the greater march and will lead to a rally with an array of speakers from the community.
The week on campus will include:
Sunday & Monday
- Movie Screening and discussion: Iraq for Sale
- Chalking and banner dropping around campus, Demands such as “Fund Education Not Occupation” and facts and stats about the occupations.
Tuesday & Wednesday
- Funeral Procession: Message “Support our Troops, Bring Them Home Alive” appearing authentic with caskets and priest in a march to the army recruitment center
- Check Point: A mock check-point station (as if in an occupied country) where passerbys will be “validated” and fliered
- Campus-wide Rally: some sort of march on campus leading to a rally with speakers: IVAW member, American Muslims for Palestine speaker, Students United for Immigrant Rights, and others.
- Fliering: Always dropping a lot of fliers about events (especially the promo for the mass rally in Milwaukee)
- A formal request to teachers to dedicate class time for presentations and/or discussion about U.S. occupations and promote both rallies
I hope this helps other chapters, feel free to give input or ask for more details.